Monday, November 16, 2015

Spout progress!


I just wanted to post some the progress that I made from last class.  I am almost ready to solder on my spout.  I used a rubber abrasive wheel to clean up my seams on the ferrule. I have a few of these I can donate to the cause. Please use them sparingly (You may need to place an order or go to Contenti to order more).  

To explain my steps.  First I marked and sanded my spout flat using the belt sander and disc sander. Once it was flat I started shaping it using a stake and a rubber mallet.  I then formed the bottom of the spout on a dapping punch to give it a belly.  I then started grinding back the spot to fit the curve of my pot. I then cut the spout to length and beveled the lip of the spout to be parallel with the edge of my rim. I cleaned up all the solder with a file and then a rubber wheel. Once it was finished I laid out where it will fit on the pot, traced it's location and started drilling my holes. Once you have drilled your holes you are committed to the spouts location. I will solder it on in class. 

Today we will be going over:

  • Soldering on your spout
  • Fabricating and soldering on a rim
  • Riveting on your handle
And what you will need for the final:

  • Spoons - Polished/finished/planished finalized
  • Bowls - Polished/finished/planished finalized
  • Pitcher and cup - Polished/finished/planished/handle/spout and possibly a rim?
  • Sketchbooks - 50 pages (or supplemental material/blog link, photos etc.  links should be emailed (this includes pinterest boards, flickr etc) 
  • Hammers - both your forging hammer and your raising hammer from your kit should be dressed/finished
  • Models - if you have them
  • Photograph your work!!!



























































No comments:

Post a Comment