Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Patina! Liver of sulfur

I wanted to show you all this.  I would suggest doing it in a bucket in the smithing room under the hood.  You will need gloves!   The liver of sulfur is in the casting room along with an electric kettle (I believe a little bottle and a white kettle). Liver of sulphur likes to be warm or hot to work well.  I would use a brass brush  or sandpaper instead of steel wool. You should seal it with wax when you are done.  It is bad to breathe in the fumes so please try to do it under a hood.  You will not need much for your bowls.  I normally use a small piece about the size of a pencil eraser or if you are using the liquid style, maybe one half of a teaspoon.  One bucket should patina all of our bowls. It goes a long way. You should try to use a separate container. 

Here are a few videos on how it works.  Remember your gloves and ventilation.  You don't have to neutralize.  You can just rinse your piece. 

Liver of sulfur will not work on brass.  If you want color I would recommend heating it up with a torch and letting it air cool, then sanding back the pattern to reveal the highlights. 


I will be in today but busy most of the day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment